IF YOU WERE SUSPENDED FOR A SUBSTANCE ABUSE RELATED SANCTION AND PLAN TO RETURN TO SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY IN THE FUTURE:
Utilize the SAMHSA website (https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/) to locate a pre-approved treatment provider in your area.
You may work with a licensed provider of your own choosing that is not listed on the SAMHSA website as long as that provider has experience and/or specialization in working with substance use related issues and you obtain approval from the Options Program 315.443.4715 PRIOR to engaging in treatment.
You will need to sign a confidential Release of Information allowing the selected treatment provider to communicate with Options regarding the reason for the referral BEFORE a treatment plan is established. This should be done at your first appointment with the provider or treatment program. You must fax 315.443.4276 or mail a Release of Information allowing the Counseling Center to speak with your outside provider.
Fax or mail the Release of Information allowing the Counseling Center/Options Program to speak with your provider.
You will be required to satisfy any recommendations made by this treatment program.
PETITIONING TO RETURN TO SYRACUSE UNIVERSITY FOLLOWING TREATMENT:
- Please take note of the deadlines below. Failure to meet a deadline might result in the students’ return to Syracuse University being postponed until the following semester.
- Readmission for FALL semester:
- Supporting documents sent to the Counseling Center by July 15th
- In-person appointment (if recommended) by August 1st
- Readmission for SPRING semester:
- Supporting documents sent to the Counseling Center by December 1st
- In-person appointment (if recommended) by December 15th
- Readmission for SUMMER semester:
- Supporting documents sent to the Counseling Center by April 1st
- In-person appointment (if recommended) by April 15th
- Readmission for FALL semester:
Upon completion of the evaluation and recommendations of your outside treatment provider, your treatment provider must fax or mail a letter to the Syracuse University Counseling Center supporting your return to school.
- Documentation, to be completed by your provider, can be found HERE - Readmission letter to provider and questionnaire for provider to complete. This documentation will need to be submitted prior to readmission.
A Counseling Center therapist must speak with your treatment provider about your treatment and ongoing recommendations.
- Call the Counseling Center 315.443.4715 to confirm receipt of documentation and discuss whether or not an inperson appointment is recommended.
- Since you continue to be a suspended student, it is your responsibility to contact the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities (OSRR) at 315.443.3728 to obtain permission to come to campus for this readmission interview.
Following the above steps, a decision will be made regarding your treatment completion. OSRR will be notified of that recommendation. A Release of Information to OSRR will be required prior to discussing this information. The Release of Information for OSRR form can be found HERE.
The Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities ultimately decides if you may return to Syracuse University.
You will be expected to follow through with any recommendations made at your Readmission interview (if applicable).
You will also be expected to meet with a Counseling Center therapist for a period of time once you return to campus. That period of time will be determined by you and your Counseling Center therapist.
Please note that the Counseling Center does not provide after-care treatment. Your Counseling Center therapist will assist you in finding appropriate treatment agencies in the Syracuse community.
Feel free to contact the Counseling Center 315.443.4715 with any questions about this process.