Anxiety is an emotion characterized by feelings of tension, worried thoughts and physical changes (APA).
Anxiety is a natural human emotion that may surface in a number of different situations, for example when studying for an upcoming test or preparing for a big game. In some instances, anxiety may be helpful, providing needed motivation. In contrast, anxiety can also lend to distress and create difficulty in managing daily life. Stressors exacerbating anxiety may vary across diverse groups. [link to marginalization].
(possibly add a paragraph on each of the topic pages regarding intersectionality of different groups and the mental health disorder)
SYMPTOMS OF ANXIETY:
- Excessive worry that you have a hard time controlling
- Restlessness, on edge
- Sleep disturbances
- Difficulty concentrating
- Muscle tension
- Powerful physical symptoms, including a pounding heart, sweatiness, feelings of choking, dizziness, numbness of your extremities, fear of dying
- Avoiding situations to stop feeling anxious, such as social situations, class presentations, social situations, etc.
- Recurrent thoughts or impulses that are unreasonable, but hard to control or stop
- Recurring images or thoughts about a traumatic event you experienced that interfere with your life today
There are different ways that anxiety may present including panic, post-traumatic stress, social phobia, obsessive compulsive disorder, or specific phobias.
STRATEGIES & SKILLS FOR ALLIVIATING ANXIETY:
- Self-care including, regular sleep, balanced diet, exercise, limiting caffeine and sugar, avoiding substance use
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (link to MBSR page)
- Anxiety Group (link to group page)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Relaxation training: diaphragmatic breathing exercises, progressive muscle relaxation, guided imagery, meditation (link to Hendricks Chapel)
- Anxiety related Apps [may need to create a document without ability to comment]
(potential videos for relaxation training)
HOW CAN THE COUNSELING CENTER HELP?
The counseling center offers treatment for anxiety related problems including:
- Individual Therapy
- Group Therapy
- Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction Program