Requesting a Leave
REQUESTING A MENTAL HEALTH MEDICAL LEAVE
- A student wishing to take a medical leave of absence must discuss this request with a representative of the Office of Student Assistance 315.443.4357. The Office of Student Assistance will notify the Counseling Center of the student's request to take a mental health medical leave of absence.
- To recieve approval for the leave, the student is then required to provide the Counseling Center the required documentation within sixty (60) days of the date that their condition made it necessary to leave the university.
The student is required to provide the following documentation to the Counseling Center within sixty (60) days of the date that their condition made it necessary to leave the university:
1. A summary letter from a licensed mental health care provider, on their letterhead, indicating the nature of the student's psychological condition and a statement directly supporting the student's need for a medical leave. This summary letter must include the specific date (mm/dd/yyyy) that the student's condition made it necessary to leave the university. CLICK HERE for the letter to the provider, detailing what is required.
2. A completed release of confidential information form, to give the Counseling Center written authorization to communicate with the Office of Student Assistance regarding the status of the student's request for a medical leave of absence.
APPROVAL FOR A MENTAL HEALTH MEDICAL LEAVE
When the Counseling Center has recieved and reviewed the required documentation from the licensed mental health provider and the release of information to the Office of Student Assistance, the Counseling Center will notify the student of approval status via their home address.
*If the student has not recieved approval status notification, the student should call the Counseling Center to verify that the required documentation has been recieved before the 60 day deadline.
RETURNING TO SYRACUSE UNIVERISTY IN THE FUTURE
Should the student wish to return to Syracuse University in the future:
- The student must enter into treatment with a licensed mental health care provider (e.g., psychologist, psychiatrist, clinical social worker, etc.) and comply with the recommendations set forth in the treatment plan.
- The student will need to demonstrate and provide the required documentation that they have participated in an appropriate form of treatment and that they are prepared to resume status as a full-time student. READMISSION REQUIREMENTS